Working across education, health and social care our officers provide confidential and impartial advice, as well as ensuring the views of SEND children, young people and their parents or carers are heard and understood and that they understand their rights, roles and responsibilities.
SENDIASS Torbay supports parents and carers through a range of ways including phone or email contact and face-to-face meetings. We also provide a signposting service to direct SEND children, young people and their parents or carers towards the organisations that is best suited to help them, ensuring that they are empowered to make informed decisions about the future.
SENDIASS Torbay can support SEND children, young people and their parents or carers in any of the following areas:
- preparing for and attending meetings with schools, local authorities and other professionals
- we have a confidential telephone helpline, with answering service in case we are unable to answer your call first time. We aim to return all messages within 2 working days.
- helping to write official letters and complete forms
- explaining the meaning of official documents
- assisting in the statutory assessment process
- referral to the correct organisation or contact.
We can provide advice on
- the Special Educational Needs (SEN) systems and processes
- SEN provision in schools
- the statutory assessment process
- Education and Health Care Plans
- annual reviews
- specialist provision/support services
- appeals to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST)
- disagreement resolution services
- Local policies
- SEN code of practice
- any service provided by SENDIASS ensures complete confidentiality for each individual case, we only take direct referrals from SEND children, young people and their parents or carers, or from a professional on behalf of the parent or carer. We only make contact with a parent or carer if it has been agreed that we can do so, and we have a dedicated confidential inquiry line. We can and will liaise with other professionals on your behalf, with prior written consent. Contact us to find out more about how you can get involved.